Write a review
- 1 head butter lettuce
- 1 Friseé Lettuce (optional)
- 8 oz slab bacon
- 4 eggs
- ½ French baguette
- 2 oz Dijon mustard
- 2 oz red wine vinegar
- 4 oz light olive oil
- Clean lettuce, cut leaves into medium size pieces.
- Cut the bacon slab into ¼” thick slices, then cut into ¼” pieces.
- Blanch by dropping bacon pieces in boiling water for about 4 minutes. Remove & drain.
- Sauté blanched bacon in hot pan until light brown.
- Drain & reserve.
- Cut baguette into ½” cubes, sprinkle with some olive oil, salt & pepper. Bake in baking pan at 350◦ until light brown. Reserve.
- Poached egg: bring about 2 quarts salted water & 1 oz vinegar to a heavy simmer in pot. Crack whole egg into small container individually (see special technique during demonstration), then drop into hot water. Drop up to 4 eggs at a time. Cook until egg white is firm & eggs float, about 4 minutes. Remove & chill in ice bath.
- Pour vinegar into small mixing bowl. Add salt (1/4 tsp), pepper (1/4 tsp). Mix well. Add mustard, mix well. Incorporate olive oil slowly with whisk.
- Toss lettuce in dressing. Display the salad on each plate* Add croutons and warmed up lardons (cooked bacon). Top with one poached egg on each salad after warming them in boiling salted water for 3 minutes.
- Optional: Chopped herbs (chive, parsley) sprinkled over & served and a turn of fresh ground pepper
- *Separate salad & croutons on 4 plates
Manassero Farms http://www.manasserofarms.com/