Homemade Pickled Veggies
Write a review
- 8 cups of mixed vegetables (recommended: carrots, celery, beets, cauliflower)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon dill seeds
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorn
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 cups white vinegar
- 2 cups water
- For the pickled vegetables: Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Fill a large bowl with ice and water and set aside. Place the vegetables in the boiling water and let cook until vibrant in color, but still firm, about 1 minute. Transfer the vegetables to a prepared ice bath, let sit until cool and drain. Transfer the blanched vegetables to a clean jar* (or jars) with the garlic. Top with spices and herbs, and set aside.
- For the marinade: Combine the sugar, vinegar and water in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook until the mixture comes to just under a boil. Pour the mixture directly over the vegetables and seasonings. Allow to cool to room temperature, cap, and refrigerate. Store refrigerated for at least 48 hours and for up to 1 month.
- Properly-handled sterilized equipment will keep canned foods in good condition for years. Sterilizing jars is the first step of preserving foods.
- Jars should be made from glass and free of any chips or cracks. Preserving or canning jars are topped with a glass, plastic, or metal lid, which has a rubber seal. Two piece lids are best for canning, as they vacuum seal when processed.
Manassero Farms https://www.manasserofarms.com/