Marinated Fried Zucchini (Zucchini a Scapece)
Write a review
- Olive oil or vegetable oil for frying
- 6 small zucchini, ends trimmed and cut crosswise into slices 1/4 inch thick
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced (can use minced garlic in jars, sold at our stands)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil or mint
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- In a saucepan, pour in oil to a depth of 1 inch and heat to 375 degrees (test by placing the round end of a wooden spoon in the oil, if small bubbles start coming up around the end of the spoon you are ready to fry!)
- Pat the zucchini slices dry. Using a slotted spoon and working in batches, carefully lower the slices into the hot oil. Cook until golden grown, about 4 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir together the garlic and basil or mint. When all the zucchini have been cooked, transfer them to a large bowl, sprinkling some of the garlic-herb mixture and salt and pepper between each layer. Pour the vinegar evenly over the top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator about 30 minutes before serving. Serve at room temperature.
- Use only small, firm zucchini (heirloom or traditional) for this recipe. The flavors need time to marry together so prepare it at least a day ahead of serving. The dish keeps well for several days. It also makes a great antipasto.
Manassero Farms https://www.manasserofarms.com/