Pickled Yellow Squash
Write a review
- 2 pounds small yellow squash
- 1 sweet onion, preferably Vidalia
- 1 small red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 2 1/2 cups cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground mustard
- Slice squash into very thin rounds. Remove both onion ends, peel, and cut in half lengthwise. Slice 1/2 of the onion into very thin strips, reserving the other half for another use. Seed and finely dice the bell pepper.
- Toss squash, onions, peppers, and salt together in a mixing bowl. Add a handful of ice cubes and just enough cold water to cover. Stir well to combine, and set aside for thirty minutes.
- Rinse the vegetables well and place in a colander or sieve to drain. Meanwhile bring the vinegar, sugar, and ground mustard to a boil in a small saucepan. Immediately remove from heat, stirring to make sure the ingredients are dissolved, and allow the vinegar to cool for 3-5 minutes.
- Gently pat vegetables dry with a towel and place in an airtight container. Pour vinegar over the mixture, tossing a fork to make sure all the slices get soaked. Cover and refrigerate until cool. Strain from brine before serving.
Manassero Farms https://www.manasserofarms.com/